Nov. 08, 2010: Such a flurry of dreams last night…
I think it began in a library/ gadget store. I was there with my daughter (I don’t actually have one), a few friends, and my father… The building was spacious, white, and well windowed. We all looked around for a while, and I noticed an old friend who I had recently had a falling out with, there with a pretty woman about my age with a stroller and a small boy. I ignored him, although I knew he noticed me. We kept looking around and I suddenly realized I needed to buy a ring for my daughter for Christmas. I stupidly proclaimed this aloud, and then asked her to turn around as I looked through the glass case. There were purple rings, pink rings, turquoise rings, all chunky and carved from stone. I didn’t see anything I thought she’d like, so we gathered our group and went outside. My old friend was leaving the building at the same time, alone, and walked toward me, his eyes wide, nervous. He saw that I was with a group, though I was walking by myself in the front, but he spoke to me anyway.
“You know I never meant for this to happen, right?” he asked quietly. I ignored him.
“I called you back, I did,” he said hurriedly.
We continued walking, our gaits well matched.
“I’m sorry,” he said, sounding constricted. “I’m sorry.” I looked over at him. He was wearing a brown jacket and his long hair was swept back off his face and darker than I remembered.
“You believe me, don’t you?” he mumbled. I smiled at the child-like tone in his voice, and gave him a small nod.
Without the old friend, my daughter, or my dad, I lumbered into a white SUV with half of the remaining group. The other half piled into a black car. I sat in the passenger seat, the black leather seats bright in their darkness.
We drove through a number of tunnels and wound up at the airport. This building, too, was very well windowed and held a great deal of escalators and conveyors, all leading upward a dozen floors. The place was golden; a warm, muted light seemed to emanate from the building itself. I danced over the heads of other travelers, jumping from one side of the escalator banister to the other like a pixie, and finally reached the top floor. There was a bar-like coffee shop, which I jumped over, grabbing a kettle on my way with a small laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment